Monday, March 18, 2013

Another "AHA"

Today I was standing in line at the grocery store looking at the tabloids and saw a picture of Nicole Richie with "92 lbs!" above her face.  At first I looked at her thinking about how beautiful she was, and then it hit me.  She looked like she was starving to death.  Usually how evolution works is that the most "fit" individual is the most attractive, meaning that they will have offspring that reproduce.  Seems logical, right?  In our society the most attractive women are the ones who are very unlikely to reproduce--both because they are mentally incapable of raising a child, and their bodies probably no longer have a menstrual cycle (because if they got pregnant they would die).

What the heck.

I recently read a beautiful quote on some random pinterest post that has no reference (weird, right?):

"Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy."

Amen.

(Also, I don't remember--are you supposed to correct the punctuation of a quote if it is terribly wrong?  I think the general rule is not to use quotes that are mispunctuated because it's unlikely the source is legitimate...)

1 comment:

  1. LOVE this post. It is crazy what is "beautiful" now. I worry about my nieces and the way they think they have to look. I love posts like this so much.

    ReplyDelete